What is a Superfood?
By definition Superfoods are a special food category found in nature. They are low in calories and high in nutrients as they contain large amounts of antioxidants, polyphenols, vitamins and minerals.
Our ADORATIO chocolatiers have packed a variety of Superfoods into the new Superfood Chocolate collection to energize and revitalize your body, mind and soul.
The Green Superfoods incorporated into the chocolate are Spirulina, Chlorella and Wheatgrass. These Superfoods are rich in chlorophyll and nature’s most highly concentrated nutrient-dense whole foods.
- Chlorella is a fresh water algae and has a high concentration of chlorophyll that will help your body eliminate unwanted metals and toxins.
- Spirulina is a cultivated micro-algae that is considered the world's most powerful superfood, because it is one of the highest known protein sources on earth and contains 70% complete protein.
- Wheatgrass is the young grass of the wheat plant and provides a concentrated amount of nutrients, including iron; calcium; magnesium; amino acids; chlorophyll; and vitamins A, C and E.
Fruit Superfoods are high in anti-oxidants that fight free radicals in your body. The superfoods used in these chocolates are Acai, Acerola and Maca amongst others.
- Acai berries are native to Central and South America and contain high levels of antioxidants, amino acids, fiber, minerals, vitamins and heart-healthy fats. Acai has been recognised as one of the world’s highest ORAC (Oxygen Radical Absorption Capacity) foods. ORAC is a measurement of how well antioxidants can neutralise free radicals. Acai has more than double the antioxidants of blueberries and nearly ten times that of grapes.
- Acerola originates from Mexico and from Central and South America. Acerola cherries contain over 150 phytonutrients and is one of the richest sources of highly absorbable vitamin C. Vitamin C helps fight infections, strengthen the immune system, prevent blood clots, regenerate damaged skin tissues, build collagen and reduce the risk of heart disease and cancer.
- Maca is a root that belongs to the raddish family and is a flavorful ancient superfood from Peru. Maca includes 55 phyto-chemicals, including vitamins B1, B2, B12, and Vitamin C and zinc. Moreover, it contains amino acids, calcium and phosphorus as well. Maca boosts the immune system, enhances memory and helps combat stress.
Seeds are highly popular in the superfoods category and our chocolatiers did not miss to add two important ones to this chocolate collection.
- Chia seeds have their origin in South America and were important to the Mayas and Aztecs. In fact the ancient Mayan word Chia means strength. Chia seeds are among the most nutritious foods and they are loaded with fiber, protein, Omega-3 fatty acids and various micronutrients.
- Flax seeds are one of the most concentrated plant sources of Omega-3 fats. Additionally, flaxs are also rich in antioxidants, B vitamins, dietary fibre, protein and potassium.
Benefits of Superfoods
Including Superfoods into your diet may reduce the risk of chronic disease and improve physical and emotional health. It is assumed that people who eat more Superfoods are healthier and thinner than those who do not consume them. Enjoy our new healthy Superfoods Chocolates!