The thought of the holidays creates a feeling of joy. Not only are the decorations, the Christmas tree and the gifts of great importance, but also the sweet and delicious Christmas cookies and pastries. If you are still looking for a delightful Christmas recipe then this festive Christmas chocolate fruit cake might be right for you.
- 140 g / 4.93 oz Butter Lard
- 100 ml / 1/2 cup Rum
- 110 g / 3.88 oz Cornstarch
- 5 Eggs
- 180 g / 6.34 oz Sugar
- 1 pack (15 g / 0.52 oz) Gingerbread Spice Mix
- 80 g / 2.82 oz Ground Almonds
- A few drops Bitter Almond Extract
- 50 g / 1/2 cup Candied Lemon Peel
- 50 g / 1/2 cup Candied Orange Peel
- 320 g / 11.28 oz Dried Fruits (80 g /2.82 oz of each Apricots, Plums, Dates, Cranberries)
- 150 g / 5.29 oz Wheat Flour
- 1 pack (15 g / 1.76 oz) Baking Powder
- 25 g / 1/4 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder 100%
- Dark Chocolate for Coating
- Whole Almonds, Candied Lemon and Orange Peel for decoration
Mix butter lard and rum with a handheld electric mixer and stir until both ingredients are combined, add cornstarch and continue stirring until all ingredients are fully incorporated. Set aside. In a separate bowl beat eggs and sugar until the mixture is fluffy. Set aside. In a third bowl, mix flour, almonds, bitter almond extract, with the chopped dried fruits, candied lemon and orange peel, cocoa powder, baking powder and gingerbread spice mix. Add egg mixture to the rum/butter cream and stir well. Combine the wet mixture with the dry ingredients and work the egg mixture in the bowl with a spatula or spoon, stirring and drawing the mixture from the outside into the middle until all ingredients are fully combined.
Grease a springform pan and pre-heat oven to 175 C / 347 F. Pour dough into the springform pan and bake cake for approximately 45 min. Let the cake cool down.
Melt dark chocolate and coat cake evenly. Decorate as you like with whole almonds and candied orange and lemon peel. Let chocolate set for a few hours. Invite your friends and family and enjoy this wonderful cake during the Christmas holidays.
Like It? Share It!